How To Track The Original Location Of An Email Via Its IP Address
We all know that spam emails are quite common, and cybercrimes are also increasing day by day. So, if you receive lots of suspicious emails, and want to know from where they are sent, you will need to access the IP address to know the location.
Usually, you would not be able to get the exact location of the person who sent you the email. For instance, if someone from France sent you an email using Gmail, then last IP address in the header section will possibly be the public IP address that is assigned to that user from the ISP, and this IP will give you the location of the user ranging from within a mile, a city or region level.
Well, many may find it difficult to track IP address from email but not with us. Here is a quick and thorough guide on how to track IP address from email and then trace the location of the wanted IP address.
Tracing the IP address of an email sender does call for looking at some technical details. There are only two steps involved in the process of tracking an email.
How to find an IP Address form an Email in Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and Outlook
To track IP address from email, follow the steps mentioned in the respective headings — in the email header for Yahoo, Google, and Outlook since these are the most used email platforms.
- Sign in to your Gmail account and open the email whose location you want to track.
- On the upper right side of the email, window, click on the three dots next to the Reply arrow, and select “Show Original” from the list.
- A new window will open. You have to look for the lines that start with “Received: from.” You can also search it by writing this in Find (CTRL + F). There are several Received from’s in the text as the message header contains all of server IP addresses that are involved in routing that email to you.
- To ease the process, you can copy the headers and use my IP address detection script. Or to manually find the IP address, proceed below.
- To find the computer IP that initially sent you the email, you have to find the “Received” from tailed by the IP address in the middle of square brackets [ ].
- If there is more than one Received: from patterns, select the last one.
- Sign in to your Yahoo account and open the email whose location you want to track.
- In the menu bar, click on More and then click on View Full Header. You will see the same information as before, just in a different pop-up window:
- You can copy the headers and use my IP address detection scriptfor your convenience. Or you can manually find the IP address by following the below steps.
- Search for “Received” from either manually or by pressing ctrl+ F tabs and writing Received: from in it. You have to look for the one that is followed by the IP address between square brackets [ ].
- If you find many instances of “Received” from with the IP address, select the IP address in the last pattern.
- Go to Outlook and open the email by double-clicking on it
- Select More actions (the three horizontal dots) at the upper right side of the email window.
- Click on view message source from the drop-down menu.
- Look for “Received” from that is followed by the IP address between square brackets [ ].
Tracking the location of an IP address
Now you have an IP address, and you can use it to perform a location lookup. You can use various platforms like https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup for this purpose.
All you have to do is to type the IP address whose location you want to trace and press enter, and that’s it. You will get all the information.
You can also use an email location tracker as an easy alternative. We hope our guide on how to track IP address from email will prove to be helpful.